Institutions: Ghent University, University Centre for Nursing and Midwifery, Ghent, Belgium
Research Foundation-Flanders (FWO), Brussels, Belgium.
Supervisory team: Prof. dr. Sofie Verhaeghe, Prof. dr. Dimitri Beeckman
Position: PhD student
Current research: My PhD research aims (1) to develop a conceptual evidence-base of nurses’ perceptions on their role in and contributions to the care for individuals experiencing suicidal ideation in mental health settings, (2) to gather quantitative data about the perceptions of patients experiencing suicidal ideation regarding their contact and communication with nurses in mental health settings, and (3) to integrate nurses’ and patients’ perceptions in order to gain a fuller understanding of the nurses’ (potential) role in and contributions to the care for individuals experiencing suicidal ideation in mental health settings.
- Contact and communication with individuals experiencing suicidal ideation
- Brief contact interventions
- Nurses’ working alliance with individuals experiencing suicidal ideation
- Nurses’ involvement in the assessment and management of suicide risk
- The future of mental health nursing
- Conceptual models for recovery-oriented safety management (trauma informed care, positive risk taking, …)
- Patient participation and peer support
- Vandewalle, J., Malfait, S., Eeckloo, K., Colman, R., Beeckman, D., Verhaeghe, S., Van Hecke, A. (2018). Patient safety on psychiatric wards: A cross-sectional multilevel study of factors influencing the nurses’ willingness to share power and responsibility with patients. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. doi: 10.1111/inm.12376
- Vandewalle, J., Debyser, B., Beeckman, D., Vandecasteele, T., Deproost, E., Van Hecke, A., Verhaeghe, S. (2017). “Constructing a positive identity”: A qualitative study of the driving forces of peer workers in mental health care systems. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/inm.12332
- Vandewalle, J., Debyser, B., Beeckman, D., Vandecasteele, T., Van Hecke, A., Verhaeghe, S., (2016). Peer workers’ perceptions and experiences on barriers to implementation of peer worker roles in mental health services: A literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2016.04.018
- The potential publications as part of my PhD research are in progress.
Can help with: Qualitative research methods and approaches (e.g., grounded theory).
What’s essential to your well-being: Spending time with my girlfriend, family and friends; doing sports; having an interesting, flexible and challenging job.
Find Joeri elsewhere: