Institutions: (1) Hearing Sciences, Mental Health and Clinical Neurosciences, NIHR Nottingham Biomedical Research Centre, School of Medicine, University of Nottingham, England. (2) Department of Psychology, University of Stirling, Scotland.
Supervisory team: Dr Derek Hoare, Dr Magdalena Sereda, Dr Joanna Lockwood, Dr William Whitmer.
Position: PhD Student at the University of Nottingham & Lecturer at the Department of Psychology, University of Stirling; CBT Psychotherapist.
Current research: PhD: Tinnitus and suicide.
- The psychosocial impact and management of hearing problems-tinnitus, hyperacusis, misophonia.
- The psychosocial impact and management of long term conditions and physical symptoms, especially persistent and distressing pain.
- Theories of suicide
- Clinical supervision
- How health care professionals manage self-harm and suicide prevention and interventions.
- Potgieter, I., MacDonald, C., Partridge, L., Cima, R., Sheldrake, J., & Hoare, D. J. (2019). Misophonia: A scoping review of research. Journal of clinical psychology, 75(7), 1203-1218.
- Taylor, J.A., Thompson, D.M., Hall, D.A., Walker, D.M., McMurran, M., Casey, A., Featherstone, D., MacDonald, C., Stockdale, D. and Hoare, D.J. (2020). The TinMan study: feasibility trial of a psychologically informed, audiologist-delivered, manualised intervention for tinnitus. International journal of audiology, 59(12), 905-914.
- Taylor, J. A., Hall, D. A., Walker, D. M., McMurran, M., Casey, A., Stockdale, D., Featherstone, D., Thompson, D. M., MacDonald, C., & Derek J. Hoare (2017). A psychologically informed, audiologist-delivered, manualised intervention for tinnitus: protocol for a randomised controlled feasibility trial (Tin Man study). Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 3(1), 1-8.
- Fackrell, K., Stratmann, L., Kennedy, V., MacDonald, C., Hodgson, H., Wray, N., … & Hoare, D. J. (2019). Identifying and prioritising unanswered research questions for people with hyperacusis: James Lind Alliance Hyperacusis Priority Setting Partnership. BMJ open, 9(11), e032178.
Can help with: CBT, tinnitus, hyperacusis, pain, LTCs, mental health, training mental health professionals.
What’s essential to your well-being? Walking, talking, the point where theory meets practice; friends, hills, trees, cheese, coffee, supervision.
Find Carol elsewhere: