Institution: Oxford Health NHS FT and Oxford Brookes University, England.
Supervisory team: Professor Jane Appleton, Professor Debra Jackson, Dr Zoe Davey for my professional doctorate and professor Keith Hawton for Trust based research.
Position: Professional Doctorate student and Nurse Consultant with a research component to my role.
- The experiences and support needs of adults who care for an adult family member or friend they consider to be at risk of suicide (doctoral research).
- Impact of patient suicide on mental health staff (part of research team, currently writing up).
- Effects of Covid-19 on self-harm (part of research team, research ongoing).
- Nurse suicide (supervising/managing research assistant).
- The experiences and perspectives of inpatient staff who work with patients who self-harm by ligature (supervising/managing research assistant).
As above, also:
- Repeated exposure to working with suicidality and people bereaved by suicide.
- Patient and carer experience of safety planning.
- Gibbons, R., Brand, F., Carbonnier, A., Croft, A., Lascelles, K., Wolfart, G., Hawton, K. (2019). The impact of patient suicide on psychiatrists: Survey of experiences and support required. BJPsych Bulletin, doi:10.1192/bjb.2019.26
- Lascelles, K., Marzano, L., Brand, F., Trueman, H., McShane, R., Hawton, K. (2019). Effects of ketamine treatment on suicidal ideation: a qualitative study of patients’ accounts following treatment for depression in a UK ketamine clinic. BMJ Open;9e209108. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2019-029108
- Lascelles, K., Marzano, L., Brand, F., Trueman, H., McShane, R., Hawton, K. (2021). Ketamine treatment for individuals with treatment resistant depression: longitudinal qualitative interview study of patient experiences. BJPsyc Open; 7, e9, 1–8. doi: 10.1192/bjo.2020.132
- Lascelles, KM. (2021). Might informal carers of adults with enduring suicidality experience anticipatory loss? Crisis, Advance articles • April 16, 2021, pp. 1–5 https://doi.org/10.1027/0227-5910/a000771
- Hawton, K., Lascelles, K., Brand, F., Casey, D., Bale, E., Ness, J., Kelly, S., Waters, K. (2021). Self-harm and the COVID-19 pandemic: A study of factors contributing to self-harm during lockdown restrictions. Journal of Psychiatric Research 137, 437–443. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2021.03.028
Can help with: As a mental health nurse with 30 years experience before becoming an ECR I can help with sharing a clinical perspective and I am always happy to talk any research ideas or issues through.
What’s essential to your well-being? My family, my friends, my dog and the outdoors.
Find Karen elsewhere:
- Research Gate
- Email: Karen.email@example.com