Institution: National Suicide Research Foundation and University College Cork (School of Public Health), Ireland.
Supervisory team: Professor Ella Arensman and Dr Eve Griffin.
Position: Postdoctoral Researcher.
Current research: I am interested in the epidemiology of self-harm and healthcare service provision for persons with a history of self-harm and other mental health difficulties. I am currently working on the PRISM project conducting an evaluation of a national clinical programme for the assessment of patients presenting to hospital following self-harm in Ireland and am part of an international consortium, EAAD-Best, which aims to improve care for patients with depression and to prevent suicidal behaviour in Europe.
- Epidemiology of self-harm
- Assessment and aftercare following self-harm
- Self-harm involving high lethality or suicidal intent
- Psychotropic drug prescribing practices
- Troya, I. M., Cully, G., Leahy, D., Cassidy, E., Sadath, A., Nicholson, S., Ramos Costa, A. P., Alberdi-Páramo, I., Jeffers, A., Shiely, F., Arensman E. The association between childhood sexual abuse, self-harm repetition, and suicidal intent: a mixed-methods study. BJPsych Open, In press.
- Cully, G., Leahy, D., Shiely, F., & Arensman, E. (2020). Patients’ experiences of engagement with healthcare services following a high-risk self-harm presentation to a hospital emergency department: A mixed methods study. Archives of Suicide Research, 1-21.
- Arensman, E., Troya, M. I., Nicholson, S., Sadath, A., Cully, G., Costa, A. P. R., … & Cassidy, E. (2020). Study protocol for the implementation and evaluation of the Self-harm Assessment and Management for General Hospitals programme in Ireland (SAMAGH). BMC Health Services Research, 20(1), 1-8.
- Cully, G., Corcoran, P., Leahy, D., Griffin, E., Dillon, C., Cassidy, E., … & Arensman, E. (2019). Method of self-harm and risk of self-harm repetition: Findings from a national self-harm registry. Journal of Affective Disorders, 246, 843-850.
- McTernan N, Spillane A, Cully G, Cusack E, O’Reilly T, Arensman E. Media reporting of suicide and adherence to media guidelines. International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2018 Sep;64(6):536-44.
Can help with: I am open to chatting about any topic to help tease things out. I have experiencing interviewing people at a very vulnerable time in their lives and would be happy to provide advice in this area. I am also happy to help with statistics and writing syntax (to the limits of my knowledge).
What’s essential to your well-being? Spending time with family and friends, particularly my little boy, and keeping active by weightlifting, hiking and cycling.
Find Grace elsewhere: