Institution: University of North Carolina at Charlotte (Department of Public Health Sciences), USA.
Supervisory team: Dr. Robert J. Cramer.
Position: PhD student.
Current research: I explore population-specific patterns of risk and protection among vulnerable groups within a social-ecological framework, considering interpersonal and structural factors related to suicide outcomes. Much of my research within the field of suicide prevention centers on theory testing, specifically the application of theories of suicide and positive psychology in order to guide clinical and translational applications.
- Protective factors and resilience
- Interpersonal, community, and structural factors related to suicide
- Sexual and gender minority mental health disparities, including suicide
- Mixed-method approaches to suicide research
- Kaniuka, A.R., Job, S.A., Brooks, B.D., & Williams, S.L. (2020). Gratitude and lower suicidal ideation among sexual minority individuals: Theoretical mechanisms of the protective role of attention to the positive. The Journal of Positive Psychology. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/17439760.2020.1818814
- Kaniuka, A.R., Oakey-Frost, N., Moscardini, E., Tucker, R.P., Rasmussen, S., & Cramer, R.J. (2020). Grit, humor style, and suicidal behavior: Results from a comparative study of adults in the U.S. and U.K. Personality and Individual Differences, 163(1), 110047. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2020.110047
- Kaniuka, A., Rabon, J.K., Brooks, B.D., Sirois, F., Kleiman, E., & Hirsch, J.K. (2020). Gratitude and suicide risk among college students: Substantiating the protective benefits of being thankful. Journal of American College Health. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2019.1705838
- Kaniuka, A., Rabon, J.K., Chang, E.C., Sirois, F.M., Hirsch, J.K. (2019). Symptoms of anxiety and depression and suicidal behavior in college students: Conditional indirect effects of non-suicidal self-injury and self-compassion. Journal of College Student Psychotherapy. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/87568225.2019.1601048
- Kaniuka, A.R., Jordan, M., Pugh, K.C., Brooks, B., Dodd, J., Mann, A., Williams, S. & Hirsch, J.K. (2019). Stigma and suicide risk among the LGBTQ population: Conditional indirect effects of depressive and anxiety symptoms and connectedness to the LGBTQ community. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Mental Health, 23(2), 205-220. https://doi.org/10.1080/19359705.2018.1560385
Can help with: I’m always happy to chat about research ideas.
What’s essential to your well-being?
Outside of work: My pets, running, hiking, vegan baking, magic the gathering, and game nights with my family.
In work: Academic memes, my network of co-authors and collaborators, and the academic community on twitter
Find Andrea elsewhere: