Institution: Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness, United States.
Supervisory team: Joann Hendelman, PhD.
Position: Doctoral candidate, pre-doctoral clinical intern at the University of Arkansas’ Counselling & Psychological Clinic.
Current research: Broadly, my research interests cover suicidality, emotion dysregulation, disordered eating, and weight stigma. I am interested in how emotion dysregulation leads to dysregulated behaviours such as non-suicidal self-injury, binge drinking, or disordered eating. In particular I investigate this within disordered eating and in conjunction with weight stigma and bias.
- Emotion dysregulation
- Weight stigmatization and weight bias
- Disordered eating and eating disorders
- Suicidal thoughts, feelings, and behaviours
- Stigma reduction
- Interpersonal theory of suicide
- Douglas, V. J., Kwan, M. Y., Minnich, A. M., & Gordon, K. H. (2019). The interaction of sociocultural attitudes and gender on disordered eating. Journal of Clinical Psychology. doi:10.1002/jclp.22835.
- Kwan, M. Y., Minnich, A. M., Douglas, V. J., Gordon, K. H., & Castro, Y. (2017). Bulimic symptoms and interpersonal functioning among college students. Psychiatry Research, 257, 406-411. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2017.08.021
- Gordon, K. H., Holm-Denoma, J. M., Douglas, V. J., Crosby, R. D., & Wonderlich, S. A. (2017). The classification of eating disorders. In the Oxford Handbook of Eating Disorders (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Douglas, V. J. & Varnado-Sullivan, P. (2016). Weight stigmatization, internalization, and eating disorder symptoms: The role of emotion dysregulation. Stigma and Health, 1(3), 166-175. doi: 10.1037/sah0000029
Can help with: Open science practices such as using the OSF; Conditional Process Analyses/ PROCESS macro; Collaboration; Advice on maintaining research output while on clinical internship; Projects involving the Interpersonal Theory of Suicide.
What’s essential to your well-being? My dog, fancy coffee, self-care such as adequate exercise and sleep, being able to nerd out about research with others, being out in nature, and music.
Find Valerie elsewhere: