Institution: Psychology Department, Middlesex University, England.
Supervisory team: Dr Lisa Marzano, Dr Andrea Oskis, Dr Mark Coulson.
Position: PhD Student
Current research: I am looking into the relationship between self-harm and alexithymia (difficulties in identifying and describing feelings) in young adults.
- Self-harm and emotional experience.
- The relationship between emotional awareness and interoceptive awareness (i.e. awareness of bodily sensations)
- Mindfulness as a protective factor.
- Learning new methods – including meta-analysis, structural equation modelling and IPA
- Norman, H., Marzano, L., Coulson, M., & Oskis, A. (2019). Effects of mindfulness-based interventions on alexithymia: a systematic review. Evidence-Based Mental Health 22, 36-43.
- Norman, H.,& Borrill, J. (2015). The relationship between self-harm and alexithymia. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, 56(4), 405–419. https://doi-org.ezproxy.mdx.ac.uk/10.1111/sjop.12217
Can help with: I’m no expert but I would be very happy to share experience of meta-analysis and also of SEM in MPlus. In a previous life I was a civil servant so I might have some government knowledge that would be useful.
What’s essential to your well-being? Coffee, singing, fellow students with whom to share the highs and lows.
Find Hilary elsewhere: