Institution: Florida State University, USA.
Supervisory team: Greg Hajcak, Ph.D. & Thomas Joiner, Ph.D.
Position: PhD Student.
Current research: My work has focused on using event-related potentials (ERPs) to study how aberrations in various neural processes contribute to the development of suicidal behavior. I am also interested in investigating the functional neural correlates of suicidal behavior, and using transcranial magnetic stimulation to manipulate these neural circuits. My current work focuses on using virtual reality paradigms to approximate suicidal behavior to study biomarkers and causes of suicide.
Research interests: Necessary factors for suicidal behaviour; systems neuroscience of suicidal behaviour; theories of suicidal behaviour.
- Gallyer, A. J., Hajcak, G., & Joiner, T. E. (2020). What is capability for suicide? A review of the current evidence. PsyArXiv. doi: 10.31234/osf.io/xgwa5
- Gallyer, A. J., Burani, K., Mulligan, E. M., Santopetro, N., Dougherty, S. P., Jeon, M. E., Nelson, B. D., Joiner, T. E., & Hajcak, G. (2020). Blunted neural reward responsiveness and recent suicidal ideation in children and adolescents: Failure to replicate across two independent samples. bioRxiv. doi: 10.1101/2020.05.19.104208.
- Gallyer, A. J., Dougherty, S. P., Burani, K., Albanese, B. J., Joiner, T. E., & Hajcak, G. (2020). Suicidal thoughts, behaviors, and event-related potentials: A meta-analysis. bioRxiv. doi: 10.1101/2020.04.29.069005.
- Rogers, M. L., Hom, M. A., Dougherty, S. P., Gallyer, A. J., & Joiner, T. E. (2018). Comparing suicide risk factors among individuals with a history of aborted, interrupted, and actual suicide attempts. Archives of Suicide Research. doi: 10.1080/13811118.2018.1522283
- Gallyer, A. J., Dougherty, S. P., Gai, A. R., Stanley, I. H., Hom, M. A., Rogers, M. L., Duffy, M. E., Buchman-Schmitt, J. M., Spencer-Thomas, S., & Joiner, T. E. (2018). Problematic alcohol use and suicidal ideation among firefighters: A multi-study investigation of the explanatory roles of perceived burdensomeness and thwarted belongingness. Journal of Affective Disorders, 238, 281-288. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2018.05.045
Can help with: I can help with some questions about EEG. I can also help with questions about R, such as how to clean, manipulate, and visualize your data. I am still learning, but I can provide some help with: mixed linear models, structural equation models, network analyses, and multiple imputation.
What’s essential to your well-being? Spending time with my wife and kids, my faith, playing basketball, and reading.
Find Austin elsewhere:
To download Austin’s CV, click here.