Institution: Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, UK; Division of Psychology and Mental Health, University of Manchester, England.
Supervisory team: Dr Daniel Pratt, Dr Trish Gooding and Professor Gillian Haddock.
Position: Trial Manager; MPhil in Clinical Psychology student.
Current research: I am currently working on the CARMS (Cognitive AppRoaches to coMbatting Suicidality) Project, which is a phase 2 randomised controlled trial. The CARMS project is investigating the efficacy of a psychological therapy which aims at reducing suicidal thoughts, plans and behaviours for people who have experience of non-affective psychosis.
I am interested in understanding the client-therapist alliance, particularly in a psychological intervention looking at reducing suicidal thoughts, plans and behaviours. My MPhil research explores how the therapeutic alliance relates to prospective outcomes of suicidal ideation and behaviour upon cessation of CARMS therapy.
- Stigma related to mental health and suicide.
- How the media influences stigma.
- Suicide prevention.
- Psychological therapies which aim to reduce suicidal thoughts, plans and behaviours.
- Client-therapist therapeutic alliance.
- Awenat, Y.F., Peters, S., Gooding, P.A., Pratt, D., Huggett C., …. Haddock, G. (2019). Qualitative analysis of ward staff experiences during research of a novel suicide-prevention psychological therapy for psychiatric inpatients: Understanding the barriers and facilitators. PLOS ONE 14(9): e0222482. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0222482
- Gooding, P.A., Pratt, D., Awenat, Y., Drake, R., Elliott, R., Emsley, R., Huggett, C., … Haddock, G. (2020). A psychological intervention for suicide applied to non-affective psychosis: the CARMS (Cognitive AppRoaches to coMbatting Suicidality) randomised controlled trial protocol. BMC Psychiatry 20(306) https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-020-02697-8
- Haddock, G., Pratt, D., Gooding, P., Peters, S., Emsley, R., Evans, E., Kelly, J., Huggett, C., . . . Awenat, Y. (2019). Feasibility and acceptability of suicide prevention therapy on acute psychiatric wards: Randomised controlled trial. BJPsych Open, 5(1), E14. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjo.2018.85
- Huggett, C., Birtel, M.D., Awenat, Y.F., Fleming, P., Wilkes, S., Williams, S., & Haddock, G. (2018). A qualitative study: experiences of stigma by people with mental health problems. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 91(3), 380-397.
Can help with: I have experience of organising conferences, ethics submissions and amendments and classifying and defining adverse events. Currently learning to juggle full-time trial management with a part-time MPhil.
What’s essential to your well-being? Spending time with friends, partner and family, travelling and exploring new places, love a good musical, cooking, prosecco, bootcamp, listening to music/going to gigs, green tea, my 2 cats and walks/hikes.
Find Charlotte elsewhere: