Position: Independent Researcher.
Current research: My thesis explored the impact of student suicide on staff members in UK Higher
Education Institutions. I am currently working to develop research informed learning and training
resources for social care practitioners, leaders and teams.
- Postvention as prevention (of complex trauma; mental ill-health; suicidal ideation and behaviour)
- Student mental health and wellbeing
- Impacts of suicide on wider networks
- Experiences of potentially traumatising events within workplaces; individual, organisational and cultural responses.
- Lived experience / participants voice.
- Causer, H., Bradley, E., Muse, K., Smith, J. (2021). Bearing witness: A grounded theory of the experiences of staff at two United Kingdom Higher Education Institutions following a student death by suicide. PLoS ONE 16(5): e0251369. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0251369
- Villa, D., Causer, H., & Riley, G. (2020). Experiences of identity change following traumatic brain injury: a meta-synthesis of qualitative research. Disability & Rehabilitation. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2020.1743773
- Causer, H., Muse, K., Smith, J., & Bradley, E. (2019). What is the experience of practitioners in health, education or social care roles following a death by suicide? A qualitative research synthesis. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health 16, 3293. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16183293
- Causer, H. (in press). Responding to the needs of staff impacted by a student suicide. In S. Mallon & J. Smith (Eds.) Preventing and Responding to Student Suicide: A Practical Guide for FE and HE Settings. Jessica Kingsley.
Can help with: Listening/counselling skills; qualitative research methods and skills; post-viva experience; dealing with thesis corrections; reflexive practice; safeguarding and risk assessment for ethics applications/lone working; self-care.
What’s essential to your well-being? Clear work/life boundaries & switching off; peer networks and peer support; working away from the screen; challenge and kindness; music; walking and wide-open spaces; nature; silence; photography; fiction, film & art; laughter.
Find Hilary elsewhere: