Institution: Population Health Sciences, University of Bristol, UK.
Mentor team: Professor David Gunnell, Professor Helen Lambert, and Professor Chris Metcalfe.
Position: ESRC Global Challenges Research Fund Postdoctoral Fellow.
Current research: I am a mental health epidemiologist with an interest in life course risk factors for suicide and self-harm. My work has explored the social determinants of mental ill health and has looked at the impact of national policies in reducing suicide deaths. I have a particular research interest in mental health research in low and middle income countries. My current work involved working with government and civil society organisations to translate my research into practice.
- Social risk factors for suicide and self-harm
- Public health policies and interventions to reduce suicide in low and middle income countries
- Life course epidemiology
- Access to means (e.g. pesticides)
- Knipe, D, Gunnell, D & Eddleston, M, (2017). Preventing deaths from pesticide self-poisoning—learning from Sri Lanka’s success. The Lancet Global Health, 5, e651-e652. DOI: 10.1016/S2214-109X(17)30208-5.
- Gunnell, D, Knipe, D, Chang, S-S, Pearson, M, Konradsen, F, Lee, W-J & Eddleston, M (2017). Preventing suicide by regulations aimed at restricting access to high-toxicity pesticides: A review of the international evidence. The Lancet Global Health, Aug 11. DOI: 10.1016/S2214-109X(17)30299-1.
- Pearson, M, Metcalfe, C, Jayamanne, S, Gunnell, D, Weerasinghe, M, Pieris, R, Priyadarshana, C, Knipe, D, Hawton, K, Dawson, A, Bandara, P, Silva, Dd, Gawarammana, I, Eddleston, M & Konradsen, F. (2017). Effectiveness of household lockable pesticide storage to reduce pesticide self-poisoning in rural Asia: a community-based, cluster-randomised controlled trial. The Lancet, Aug 11. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)31961-X.
- Knipe, D, Gunnell, D, Pieris, R, Priyadarshana, C, Hawton, K, Eddleston, M & Metcalfe, C. (2017). Is socioeconomic position associated with risk of attempted suicide in rural Sri Lanka? A cross sectional study of 165,000 individuals. BMJ Open, 7(3): e014006.
- Knipe, D., Padmanathan, P., Mutuwatte, L., Metcalfe, C. & Gunnell, D. (2017) Regional variation in suicide rates in Sri Lanka between 1955 and 2011: a spatial and temporal analysis. BMC Public Health, 17(1), 193. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-016-3961-5.
Can help with: I have expertise in using statistical software for medical research (STATA, MLwiN, SPSS), as well as skills in database design (Access). I can help with statistical analysis plans. I also chair the Bristol Suicide and Self-harm meetings and can provide links with researchers in Bristol to anyone who is interested.
What’s essential to your well-being: Maintaining a good work life balance – not having a smart phone!
Find Duleeka elsewhere: